Love Memorial Elementary School was established in 1926 when a Lincoln County received $75,000 in bonds from the North Carolina State School Board. The school received $20,000 from the bond with the additional money being raised by the community. Love Memorial is named after Edgar Love, a progressive and noted community leader who served two terms as mayor of Lincolnton and was also elected as a legislator to the North Carolina General Assembly in 1916 and 1918. A member of the board of education, Mr. Love was known as a strong advocate of more modern school facilities and better educational opportunities. In 1997, Lincoln County Schools replaced the old 1926 building with a new, modern building. Love Memorial began as a small rural school that had an enrollment of 500 students at one time. Those students came from the surrounding community where their parents worked in the mills. Today, Love Memorial's community extends much farther than the small rural mill village that it began as years ago. Even though our student population is just over 300 students, we have students attending the school from all over Lincoln County.
Love Memorial has a tremendous teaching staff that is dedicated to educating the students at Love Memorial. Eight-eight percent of the teachers at Love Memorial have been teaching for five or more years. One hundred percent of our teachers are highly qualified, of which, we have three National Board-Certified Teachers. We have very little teacher turnover at four percent. That four percent is reflected in transfers at the end of the 2019-20 school year. We believe that are students can achieve great things in and outside of the classroom. We believe in teaching the whole child, not just the academic subjects. Love Memorial was the first school in Lincoln County to be recognized as a PBIS school in 2007-2008. Since then, we have remained a PBIS Model and Exemplar School for the past several years. Our School slogan is "Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible."