Degrees and Certifications:
BS in Elementary Education Global Certified
Mrs. Mary McDaniel
My name is Mary McDaniel. I am so excited to be teaching at Childers Elementary this year! This will be my 27th year teaching. I am married to a wonderful husband. Chad. We have been married for 25 years. I have 2 girls named Morgan and Katie. Morgan has given me a wonderful grandson named Lincoln. I will have another grandson in December. I am so excited for Morgan and her husband Dennis. Katie is in college at UNC Greensboro. I have a new dog named Molly and 3 cats named Blossom, Stevie and Simba. I love to read various types of genres but mysteries are my favorite. I love SPORTS of all kinds. I spend my free time with my family and pets. I look forward to a great year here at Childers!
Here is the link for directions on Elearning for May 18- 22nd
Teacher Name: Eurey, Matney, McDaniel, Scronce
Grade Level: 2nd
School: Childers Elementary
Second Grade Phase 4 Packet-- This is optional and have fun with ice cream.
Week 1 : May 18 -May 22nd
Monday 5/18 :
1. Choose a book from home/online and find your favorite spot to read for 15 min.
2. Reading Fluency: Passage “ May Day Fun” Time your child for 1 minute. Record the
number of words they read correctly. If you look at the right side of the story you will see
the number of words in each row. Then, write the total number your child read by the
WRR ( Words Read Right) section under 1st. Next, record the number of words your
child missed and write it by ERRORS.
3. Spelling: Week 30: Choose the level you have been working on. USE the Spelling
TIc-Tac Bingo Chart for this week’s spelling.
4. Scavenger Hunt - Go outside and find the items on the Scavenger Hunt sheet. Check it off as you find the items.
1. Reading- Read Scholastic News- “The Scoop on Ice Cream.” Do the questions
on the back. Feel free to make your own ice cream.
2. Writing - Cool Creations - Congratulations! You’ve been chosen to invent a new
ice cream flavor! What food items in your kitchen can you use to make your
favorite ice cream?
3. Now, complete the ingredients sheet for ice cream.
4. Word Search
1. Reading - Read the Scholastic News- “ The Girl with Olympic Dreams”. ( IF you can
watch the video.) Do the questions on the back.
2. Make your own Obstacle Course. Time yourself 3 times and see which time was the
3. Do the “ Have You Got A Minute?” sheet.Time yourself for 60 seconds each time for
each activity. Then answer the questions.
1. Write a Letter: Write a letter to yourself reflecting on the past year and looking
into the future. Think about how this year has been different compared past
school years. Examples- long tornado drill, remote learning due to Covid- 19,
snow, water outages and electricity going out.
2. SONG - Create a song about this past school year to the tune of “ Old McDonald
Had a Farm.”
1. End of Year Memory Book Packet
2. Color your Kindness Book Mark
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER !!!!
Second Grade Teachers!