History of S. Ray Lowder
S. Ray Lowder Elementary School, which began operation in the fall of 1966, presently serves PreK through third grade students in the southern part of Lincolnton. Our school was named for the Superintendent of Lincolnton City Schools from 1941 – 1972, Mr. Stanley Ray Lowder.
The site for the new school was well chosen. The twenty-five acre tract is located near the old Town and Country Shopping Center in a rapidly developing residential area. It is located approximately two miles from Highway 321.
From 1966 until 1978, S. Ray Lowder School served students in grades three through eight. The fall of 1978 school year found our school enrollment adjusted to serve grades three through six. These grades were served until 1990 when S. Ray Lowder Elementary School had Kindergarten, First, and Second grades join our school. In 1993, an additional wing of eight classrooms was added to our facilities. These rooms of 1000 – 1200 square feet now house our PreK class as well as our kindergarten and first grades. In 2006, fourth and fifth grade relocated to Kiser Intermediate School (formerly Lincolnton Middle School). Kiser currently houses students from the Lincolnton "town" schools (G.E. Massey, Battleground, and S. Ray Lowder).
S. Ray Lowder is the smallest elementary school in the county with 3 classrooms for grades 1-3, 2 Kindergarten classrooms, and 1 PreK class. We have an active PTO and dedicated faculty and staff. We are proud of our history and adhere to our motto "Committed to Excellence".